Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I went up to San Francisco again last night to see Simon Finn at the Hotel Utah Saloon, and got there early enough to hang out with Simon and Joolie a bit before the show. G showed up soon after I did. I guess the Hotel Utah folks thought we were roadies or possibly band members, because they gave us free food. They make these veggie burgers (my second choice, actually, because they were out of hummus) that were much better than the gardenburgers one usually gets when ordering veggie burgers. We milked it a bit and got ice cream too. The opening band was loud enough to start my eardrums vibrating in an unpleasant way, and not interesting enough to make it worthwhile. The second band, Whysp, was very interesting, with banjo and sitar and all manner of jangly bells and hand drums - a bit like the Incredible String Band or some of the more upbeat In Gowan Ring songs.

Since they were headlining, Simon and Joolie played a longer set than they did at the Great American, which was good because the music is great, but bad because it meant that I didn't get home until almost 2 AM. David and Dri showed up too, so I got to say goodbye to them since they're leaving for home on Friday. Al was there as well, which was nice. Simon and Joolie are taking the train down to L.A. for another show - a chance for them to check out some beautiful scenery.

Today I'm tired. I think I'll go lie down on a couch.

Oh, before the show I did my duty and voted against that steroid-laden Austrian guy's initiatives.

No comments: