Monday, February 07, 2005

Today is a four day week at science camp, so I didn't work today. In fact, I spent a good part of yesterday and today trying to lounge around. I was partly successful, or at least as successful as one is likely to get with four small children hanging off of him. In the end, not much was accomplished. We treaded rather than forged ahead, but I will always remember the words of one of my college professors: "sometimes you just have to do nothing." There really is a sort of wisdom in that. My nothing included finishing Sunset & Sawdust by Joe Lansdale, and starting The Raphael Affair by Ian Pears. This reminds me of my childhood, when I would often sit around all weekend (or indeed, all summer) reading novels. I can't do that now of course, so the occasional lazy hour or five is welcomed.

Other than that, I performed at a couple of science birthday parties, ran few minor errands, mowed the lawn, took Willow for a walk, talked with Jen without getting interrupted two hundred and fifty six times (while the older kids were at their dad's), and did this and that. One of the errands involved buying pet food at the usual place, where I noted that they must have recently hired somebody who can't spell worth beans. His (or her) handiwork was on display on the glass sides of many of the terrariums. Call me a snob, but when I visit a store where the displays are rife with misspellings, it makes me want to shop elsewhere.

Nate's not feeling well at the moment. He puked on Sunday at his dad's, and was running a fever earlier. He seems to be getting better though. Hopefully nobody else will catch it.

I checked out my first cd (Kronos Quartet "Caravan") from the library today too. I'm still fretting over not being able to go out and buy them like I used to, but I'm dealing with it. M handed me a stack of cdrs last weekend too, so I do have new things to listen to.

No comments: