Thursday, February 03, 2005

I managed to take both sets of car keys to work with me today, something I didn't find out until I got a message over the walkie-talkie in the middle of a hike. I've got to check my pockets before going to work. A little before this message came through, one of the girls in my group got a bloody nose and decided that she wanted to return to camp. One of my cabin leaders took her back down the trail, and through a series of wrong turns and a bit of miscommunication between me and one of the other field instructors, they got a bit lost. In the end they managed to get themselves found, so no harm done. The rest of us made it up to the same Redwood grove I visited with my group last week, which I noticed this week is a thousand feet higher up than our starting point. I told the kids this, and I heard at least one of them boasting about it after we got back down to camp. Of course, we got back late too. This group hikes a little slower than last week's did. We were almost late for milk and cookies, a regular thursday event at camp.

Lots of scat on the trail today too. At least one kid stepped in some. Darn coyotes.

No comments: