Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I'm in the middle of a week working as a substitute janitor while the real janitor is living it up down in Mexico somewhere. It's a sort of humbling experience because it's one of those jobs that most people look down on. Of course, things would fall apart pretty quickly without the janitor. I have a big, jangly ring of keys that allows me access to everything, including all of the toilet paper and paper towel dispensers, the pool, and the soda machines. I now know where all of the supplies are kept. I get to enjoy the school when all of the kids are out on the trails. Much more quiet, except for the singing of the Pacific Tree Frogs who live in the hedge.
I spend most of my work day cleaning the dining hall and the bathrooms. The dining hall needs to be swept and mopped after every meal, but that's not too big a deal. The bathrooms, especially in the morning, are pretty trashed. Apparently there's some confusion among the students about where to put used toilet paper. It's also very apparent that boys don't often wash their hands after using the facilities. I have to replace the paper towels in the girls bathroom about twice as often, if not more so.

I appreciate our janitor even more now that I've walked around in his shoes for a few days. Especially after cleaning the bathrooms. Apparently once somebody even pooped in the sink. I'm glad that hasn't happened this week. I'm also glad that nobody has puked. I'm even more glad that this isn't my usual job. That would be pretty depressing. Not a whole lot of mental stimulation involved here. Just lots of cleaning, the majority of which necessitates the donning of disposable gloves.

Today, while mopping the dining hall and talking to one of this week's classroom teachers, I discovered that the teacher I had in fourth grade is her father's cousin. He must be ancient by now. I remember that he had a grey crewcut and read us The Hobbit. Not much else though.

That's it for now. Much to do, as always.

Two more days of this and then I'm done. Next week I'll be working at the museum for a few days, and then quitting that as well.

No comments: