Saturday, December 18, 2004

I survived my week as a janitor, but don't think I'd like to repeat the experience. I did get a little break on Thursday due to one of the other instructors being sick. I took her field class hiking for the day instead of cleaning toilets. Much more fun.
Over all though, it's pretty depressing to be a janitor. I don't think I could do it for much longer than a week. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that your day will be filled with dirty toilets and nasty trash cans full of all sorts of stinky things.
It's also interesting to note that many students, even after a week of instruction on global responsibility and conservation, including such concepts as reusing and recycling, still throw their damn plastic water bottles in the garbage instead of the recycling bin. I must have pulled thirty recyclable containers out of the trash on Friday.

Today I worked at the museum and did a science birthday party for which I got tipped ten bucks and some really good Indian food. Every little bit counts.

We got more free furniture today as well, thanks to K. Our garage is full to bursting with old stuff now (like it wasn't before...) and we're still in the process of getting all of the new stuff arranged and sorted out. Jen is busily working away at various knitting projects. The kids are busily working away at preventing her from getting them done.

The whole week is supposed to be sunny, which is a shame. A cold, windy holiday season would be fun.

No comments: