Thursday, November 13, 2003

I couldn't get onto the blogger site last night, and now I see why. They've been busy little stinging insects changing things around again. Looks better, at least from my end.

Andrey Tarkovsky, in his book, Sculpting in Time, spends a good deal of time musing on the purpose of art in society. What does it do for us? Of course, he's writing from his perspective as a director of films, which do indeed do a lot of things for us if they are indeed art. It is my contention that most movies aren't, but that's a whole other topic...
This book got me to thinking about music, and what it has done for me, so I'm going to make a list:

It inspired me to become vegetarian.

At an early age, it opened my eyes to a whole range of social problems, and in the process made me a more compassionate individual.

It got me banned from DJ-ing during lunch in high school.

It provided the common ground for some lasting friendships.

It directly inspired me to travel to France, England, and exotic locations such as New York, Chicago, and Austin, because bands I liked were playing concerts there.

It has kept me company for fifteen years now while working at night.

It has taken up a lot of time and money, but has given back something undefineable, yet greater. It has helped develop my aesthetic sense.

Through "world music", it has taught me a lot about other cultures and languages.

It helped me drive people out of the store at closing time when I worked retail.

Oops, it's time to get to work, but you get the idea.

cds I listened to that were helping me in some way: Swap "Mosquito Hunter", Mirror "Solaris", Hedningarna "Kaksi!", and Goran Bregovic "Irish Songs"

No comments: