Monday, March 07, 2016

Obsolescence, Planned or Otherwise

When Jen and I divorced, she let me take her computer with me, but it didn't last out the year. I replaced it with the laptop I'm currently using. Later this year, it will be 8 years old, which makes it more or less a museum piece by current technological standards. It's funny how fast the things we use become obsolete, but not funny when one considers how much of this is planned obsolescence. I guess this is what drives innovation. The concept of planned obsolescence is still irksome to me though. It's beyond wasteful. Everything has to have an update every year (or in smaller time increments), and from the complaints I hear, sometimes the updates are less desirable from the prior version.

I still get the feeling that time is speeding up. I wonder if people in other centuries felt the same way. "This new scythe makes the harvest so much faster! It seems like just yesterday that we had to work weeks longer every Autumn!"

I'm guessing not.

We still use books though, and despite the various e-readers on the market, books are the oldest technology still in wide use. Or so I've read. Strangely enough, I think I read it online though. I'm still very much married to the idea of reading actual books and don't see that changing anytime soon.

No comments: