Friday, March 11, 2016

Daylight

I'm back in the field now, although with staff shortages, I'll be doing one more week of nights next week. I got to play outside this week though, with great kids, varied weather, and lots of hiking. We even had to bushwhack around a fallen oak tree to get to the creek, climbing through lichen encrusted branches and gingerly stepping over blackberry bushes. I'm guessing that the tree fell victim to the storm we had last weekend. More rain is in the forecast for the next couple of days too. This is good.

I did get a bit of a sunburn after exposing my pale, nocturnal skin to the elements all week.

This is the view from the highest point we reached this week:


I've got a cold right now, which doesn't affect my energy level when I'm teaching, but sure leaves me drained by the end of the day.

We also had parent chaperons this week, which was new to me. One local school district insists on them, and fortunately, the parents seemed like a good bunch. The one who hiked with me was positive and helpful. I've heard from co-workers that having more than one with a group can be a bit of a trial, because the parents sometimes just hang out together and talk while instructors are trying to teach.

I haven't been strictly limiting my computer time over the last week, but I've still spent much less time online than usual, mostly due to the change in my schedule, but also due to being aware of how much time I waste online.

No comments: