Thursday, March 03, 2016

More Firsts

I didn't send my first e-mail until after my parents split up. I don't always remember what year certain events took place, but I know that my dad wasn't online until after he moved to an apartment. Come to think of it, I can't remember the subject of my first e-mail either, although I'm betting it was music related, probably involving ordering a record or something like that. I used my dad's e-mail address. I wouldn't set up my own account until much later.

Writing the above paragraph inspired me to go check my current e-mail account, just to see what the oldest e-mail is. It's probably not the first one I ever sent from it, since I think I used to occasionally delete messages. The e-mail is from D#1 (see this post), and she talks about riding her new unicycle and meeting up for a concert. Looking at the e-mail that she was responding to, I see it was a Heather Alexander show. I was looking up Heather Alexander awhile back, only to discover that she is now a man named Alexander James Adams. Here's my favorite song from that long ago evening. I seem to remember that she made us all sing along with the chorus.

The e-mail was sent nearly seventeen years ago. I was working at the Children's Discovery Museum and living with Laura and Kelly in Mountain View.

Here in the present, things have snowballed, which is why I'm currently enjoying the challenge of cutting down on the amount of time I spend online. Some of my newfound extra time is taken up with reading, and some of it is taken up with more immediately useful pursuits.

No comments: