Monday, March 30, 2015

Old Friends and Spring Days

Weekends are always looking at their watches and making excuses for leaving early. This weekend was no exception. Monday is more like the house guest who doesn't take the hint that the party is over. The pointed yawns and pajamas don't seem to make an impact at all.

Willow went to a pair of birthday parties and a softball game this weekend. One party boasted a nice view of the valley, and the other one featured a hot tub. She had fun. Her team lost the softball game, but only just.

The highlight of my weekend was reconnecting with an old friend, somebody who I hadn't seen in nearly 15 years. I had lived with her and her mom before I met Willow's mom. The last time I saw her, she had just graduated high school. Now, she's 33 years old, with an adorable little boy. I guess she was sort of like my stepdaughter, although her mom and I weren't married, and for most of our cohabitation, not even romantically involved. It was great seeing her all grown up, and nice (although not surprising) to discover that she is one of the good adults. So many adults are anything but. Willow, who came along for the ride, liked her too. The icing on this particular cake was that it was a perfect Spring day. The hills above the park where dusted with yellow flowers and, despite the drought, a bit of green. I'm sure the green will vanish like yesterday's memories though, but for now, it looks nice.

Today, while I slept, Jeanine bought and planted some tomatoes, peas, and greens in the garden (now fenced off so the chickens can't help themselves). I joined her later, pulling weeds and tidying. We've been eating a lot of steamed arugula, chard, and other leafy greens lately, and I can't wait until we can pick our own again.

Jeanine found a couple of cool grubs in the compost too. I'm not sure what this will turn into, but it was as big around as my finger, which is pretty hefty for a grub.

No comments: