Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Pondering the Pool

After the campers were all in bed, I did a circuit of the pool in an attempt to grab some frogs (Pacific Chorus frogs, sometimes still known as Pacific Tree frogs). They like hanging out inside the pool filter alcoves, which act like a resounding chamber, magnifying their ribbity little voices. This makes them somewhat easy to catch, because all I have to do is lift the filter cover and grab. After a couple of failed attempts to grab frogs who weren't in the filters, I pulled up the last filter cover and managed to grab one.

I walked back toward the hub, only to find a camper there with his cabin leader. He complained that his throat hurt a bit, and explained that he'd inhaled deeply during the night hike and felt something go down his throat. I'm guessing he probably ingested a small moth. I told him it sounded like he had a frog in his throat, and even went so far as to explain what the saying meant (I've learned to expect kids to be unaware of the cliches of the older generations, especially given the rich cultural mix locally). Then, I pretended to clear my throat and cough into my hands. Of course, when I opened my hands, there was an actual frog there, since I'd had it with me all along. Correction: frogs. I'd grabbed a mating pair, and in the dark, hadn't realized it. I'm not sure who was more surprised. I think it made the kid forget about his sore throat though.

Here they are, attempting to check their website. Afterward, I released them at the edge of camp, on the pond side. I think the sound of five million frogs already singing in the pond should give them a clue about which direction they should hop.



No comments: