Thursday, November 06, 2014

Night and Day

Thanks to daylight savings time, I managed to sleep until after nightfall today. Jeanine was just putting the chickens to bed as I was shaking the sleep out of my eyes. That said, my sleep was interrupted at 1:30 by somebody insistently leaning on the doorbell. It turned out to be the mail carrier with a package in need of a signature. It made me want to find out where she lived so I could go to her house and ring her bell at 1:30 AM.

Then, after I climbed back into bed, the yard people started up their leaf blowers somewhere nearby. Leaf blowers are such stereotypical "American" devices. They're loud and they don't actually deal with the problem. They just blow it into the next yard or into the street, thus making it a problem for somebody else. It also strikes me that the "American Way" has come to mean doing a job quickly and noisily rather than properly and respectfully. I guess it's always been that way though, hasn't it?

Plus, it's hard to sleep while they're being used. This is one of the drawbacks of having a sleep schedule opposite most of the world.

No comments: