Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Western Skink


Western Skink
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
Skinks are perfect little reptilian jewels, smoothe and shiny, with impossible looking tails. I found this one curled under a board earlier today as I wandered around after lunch. Other animals of interest today were a baby scorpion, a couple of Garter snakes, the mangled remains of a deer near the front driveway, and a number of frogs, newts, and Western Fence lizards too cold to run fast enough to get away. Most of the kids in my group had a great time looking under rocks and boards, and many of them will go home with pictures of the deer carcass. I'm sure their parents will be thrilled.

A couple of days ago, M, Jen, Willow and I went on a long hike at Almaden Quicksilver park. Willow demanded to be carried for most of the hike, so Jen and I traded off carting her up and down hills. Without the bigger, noisier kids along, we actually got to see some animals with ears. A rabbit made a brief appearance early on, and later we saw a number of deer. Best of all was the Bobcat who quickly disappeared up the hill to the right of the trail about twenty feet in front of us. It was the first time any of us had seen one in the wild. I can now cross it off my "animals I haven't seen yet," list.
The recent rains have left the hills carpeted in new grass and wildflowers, making me wonder why I don't go up there more often (oh yeah, too busy).

The day before, M, G, and I went up to see the Faun Fables "Transit Rider" show at The Independent in San Francisco. Dawn and Nils, with the help of Jenya and Matt (ex-Mumble and Peg, who opened the show as Fuzzy Cousins) are touring with a somewhat altered version of their theatrical meditation on transition. Lots of other musicians got up and did short, salon-style songs and skits beforehand, making it a show of epic proportions. The new cd was also on sale, as were some Fuzzy truffles, handmade by Fuzzy Cousins. The chili-tequila one was a work of art in itself.
This was the first show of a tour that will last a little over a month. They'll be back in town at the end of May. Go see it. Check out their website for dates. Check out the fan-run MySpace page to listen to some music.

Now it is evening. I'm listening to "Still Valley" by Mirror as sort of an antidote to the constant chaos. Not that chaos is always bad, but there must be balance.

No comments: