Monday, April 03, 2006

Charcoal


Charcoal
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
Everybody is sick. The boys actually took naps this afternoon. Sophie has snot coming out of her nose, Jen feels awful, I have a headache and feel more tired than I should, and Willow...

Yesterday evening she had a febrile seizure. She had a fever and had been complaining about not feeling good and wanting to throw up, and then at about 8:30 or so she leaned forward like she was going to throw up and instead went into a seizure, with her eyes rolled back into her head and all of her muscles twitching. Jen held onto her and I called 911. By the time the fire engine and the paramedics got here she was through the worst of it, but totally exhausted and not responding to us. They strapped her car seat to the top of the stretcher and wheeled her out to the ambulance - it was a moment that will stick in my mind: Willow sitting upright like a princess on a litter, with a small, yellow umbrella held over her head to keep the rain off, her face serene with exhaustion and incomprehension, lit by flashing emergency lights.
Jen got in the ambulance and I followed in the van. At the hospital she was more herself. They gave her some tylenol, checked for possible urinary tract infection (okay on that count), and cleared her to come home.

Right now she is getting checked out by her usual doctor. Apparently febrile seizures aren't that uncommon - they tend to happen when a fever increases suddenly. It scared the hell out of us though.

Then, at work today, some mystery kid called 911 from the pay phone out front. By the time I left, they still hadn't figured out who.

On the way home I got pulled over for having a cracked windshield (from that damn tree on Highway 17 a few months back). Of course I had to have big smears of charcoal all over my face. We often do that at work with the kids, utilizing burnt Redwood stumps. If I don't look in a mirror before I get in my car, it doesn't get washed off. The cop looked at me and asked, "are you doing an art project on your face?" Never one to be a smartass in such situations, I told him the truth.

Oh, and I got to use AAA on saturday while M and I were helping Baby O's mother move. I was changing a tire for her when the car fell off the jack. It was only at this point that I realized the bolt one is supposed to place the jack against was quite bent, making it impossible to jack the car up again with the resources available to us. The towtruck driver that came used at least three different jacks to finish the job.

After all was said and done, we went and got Ethiopian food. That was the best part of the weekend. There was even enough left over for me to take it for lunch the next day while putting in some overtime as weekend work crew supervisor at my school.

No comments: