Tuesday, April 04, 2006

It's still raining. Everybody is still sick. The boys both stayed home from school today. Jen is running a fever. I think I'm getting off light this time, with a bit of a headache and some tiredness.

Being outside invigorates me, even when the rain is turning all of the trails to swamps. I took the kids out in the rain to do a community study in the chaparral this morning, and we very well could have done it in a boat. The whole area was under two to three inches of water and the hills were all waterfalls. Mice were running everywhere, probably because their burrows were all flooded, and the mud was woven with worms. I managed to recapture the same scorpion our group found last week, and the poor thing was glad to have the warmth from my hand. So was the tiny Fence Lizard we found. It didn't want to let go when I released it. The kids were all freezing too, so we cut things short and went back to camp.

More than a few of the kids this week are complaining of stomach pain. A few people have gone home with fevers too.

There are small landslides everywhere. The road was partially blocked this morning. More trees and boulders have made their way onto the road, and the maintainence crews have been hard pressed to keep things cleared. Old-timers say this season has been quite ridiculous. More records are expected to be broken soon.

No comments: