Sunday, October 02, 2005


I went on a long hike with M today through Henry Cowell park. We followed the train tracks for awhile before descending to cross and recross the creek a few times, the first time to discover a pair of abandoned sunglasses, but no trail, and the second time to actually discover a trail that went in the direction we needed to go. Finding the sunglasses was funny because that's the way I always get sunglasses. I have never once actually purchased a pair. They always appear before me on the ground. Well, except for the last pair I found, which was under a log.

Another interesting thing happened on the trail leading down to the creek. A woman and her dog (a Siberian Husky, I think) were ascending the hill towards us. The dog was proudly carrying something in its mouth. The woman looked somewhat embarassed. "He found a deer leg and I can't get him to let it go," she told us as we passed.
"So, you're taking it home with you then?", I asked. She replied that she most definitely was not. The dog, oblivious to the conversation and drooling over its prize, padded past without looking at us.

I'll bet she had a battle getting the dog to relinquish the leg.

Oh, and we found some crayfish. As the photo shows, they weren't happy about being discovered.

No comments: