Thursday, October 20, 2005



The cool weather continues. We've seen a few amphibians this week, including Pacific Giant Salamander larvae, California Newt, and Pacific Tree Frog. The newt was the first of the season for me. In couple of months, after the rains have started, we'll be seeing dozens of them every day.
I switched my planned hike to the reservoir to accomodate one of my students who has cerebal palsy, and took my group down to what is known as "indian country" today. The area takes its name from the fact that it boasts a few Ohlone mortars. The kids played around them for awhile. I caught one of them grinding up his snack inside one, using a large rock as a pestle. So much for lessons on conservation and not wasting your food.
We played in a creek I hadn't previously visited as well. It was full of deep, clear pools, and a variety of mushrooms grew in the shady areas.
On the way back, one of the girls spotted a scorpion crawling along beside the trail. It's very unusual to come across one crawling around during the day. It must have been an insomniac. A pretty large one at that.

I hope the weather remains cool.

When I got home I put my backpack in a cubby.

No comments: