Monday, July 26, 2004

It looks like another week of campers who like to draw, so things should go well. I had the kids do several different kinds of drawings today, and we hiked around the lake a bit, discovering some turtles and some sort of Kingfisher-like bird along the way. It was pretty hot, and the kids were feeling it. One boy came with a backpack full of water, complete with a drinking tube slung over his shoulder so he could constantly sip. The only drawback was that he had to pee every 20 minutes or so. I hope he doesn't bring the damn thing tomorrow because I don't want the whole week taken up by bathroom breaks.

I've been noticing that most of the kids in my camps seem to have every summer week taken up with some camp or other. Some of them have several activities every day. One boy today told my that he not only plays violin, but has done so at some sort of concert in Europe. I can believe it. Why is it that parents feel the need to push children to learn so much so fast? Why do they also shuttle them off to multiple camps every summer? A lot of the kids seem pretty burned out by all of the activity. Of course, letting them rot in front of the TV for three months isn't acceptable either. Where's the happy medium? Perhaps it has been chased away by the angry extreme.

I'd better post this before it disappears.

No comments: