Saturday, July 31, 2004

Camp is over for another week, with only two weeks remaining. I had a good group this week, with no kids standing out in a bad way. As with the previous week, they really liked making art from whatever was at hand in their immediate surroundings. The paper mache masks came out much better too, because I didn't let them use paint. The previous group used paint almost to the exclusion of all else.

Jeremy the computer doctor came by to take a look at our ailing computer, and recommended that we download all of the Windows updates that we'd been ignoring for the last year or so. He also found a virus, and said that at some point soon he's going to take our computer home with him for a day or two to really fix things up. That should help. In some ways, with the updates all updated, things are working a little better, but things are not perfect yet. We luddites continue to blink stupidly in the overwhelming glare of technology.

I've been listening to lots of weird hippie pagan folk type stuff lately. Banjos are cool. Anything that evokes the back porch of a cabin situated somewhere in an isolated mountain range under a waning moon slowly sinking into the predawn mists... you get the idea. Somewhere where life can be lived according to natural cycles, not alarm clocks or time clocks or any other sort of clock. I'm tired and still battling a cold. We've all been taking turns being grouchy so far this weekend, although there have been bright spots. I drew a picture over a few days during the week, mostly to demonstrate different drawing techniques for my camp, using a marker, charcoal pencil, crayon, and paint. Today I asked Lexy if he would like to add to it, which he did. He was complaining about how he didn't like what he was doing, so I told him that he should never worry about the end result of his art - just have fun and relax. It helped him, and he drew a great tree, with accompanying bee hive (spilling honey) and bees (preparing to sting the smiling woman standing nearby). Pretty cool.

We did a multi-family garage sale over at K's house (on a busy street) and managed to offload a few more bits an pieces of clutter. One of my coworkers from the museum stopped by, lured by the playstructure in the driveway that had unfortunately been sold already.

Granny came over last night and set up a large tent in the backyard so that she and the boys could camp out. Normally, I would have been out there too, but I was feeling tired and grouchy, so I went to bed early. Only Granny and Lexy slept outside all night, with the younger kids all opting for the comforts of beds. I miss camping, but I think I'll wait until we can go someplace with stars and the smell of the woods.

It looks like the windows updates may have fixed my inability to upload images. Let's see.



No comments: