Monday, July 05, 2004

Is the third time actually the charm, or am I just wasting my time here? The last two times I've attempted to publish it hasn't worked, resulting in my post being sucked away into the informational vortex, to be lost forever from the sight of human beings. Our computer at home is suffering from petit mal seizures, and who knows why it didn't work when I tried it at work...

I got to see somebody accidentally reveal their concealed weapon at the pet store the other day. A woman was using her ballpoint pen to sign for her purchase when it broke in half, revealing a rather nasty looking knife hidden within. She sheepishly fumbled it back together while maintaining, "you didn't see that!". I laughed.

Once I got home, I started feeding the reptiles. As I was dangling a large rat in front of the python, he struck and missed, falling halfway out of his cage and latching onto my knee while the rat continued to dangle unscathed several feet above. There followed a period of time during which I lurched around the room with a snake trying to eat my knee and coiling around my head and neck. I shouted for Jen to get the camera so I could add to my collection of "how not to hold your pets" photos, but Jen was too worried about me to comply, and instead brought me some water which I dumped on the python's head to make him uncomfortable enough to let go. I had to help him unhook his teeth, and then Lexy filmed the aftermath, with running commentary.

I worked today, and got paid twice as much for it because of the holiday! That helps. I now have to park in a parking garage a couple of blocks away because the neighborhood I've been parking in is now "permit only". At least the parking garage is free for museum employees, and the walk from the garage takes me along the river. I saw a large Heron sitting on rock on my way back to my car after work. It's good to see Herons hanging around.

No comments: