Saturday, July 24, 2004

Another week has gone by somehow. The mornings, for the most part, have been pleasantly overcast, with fog drifting over the hills. This week's camp was called Wild Images, which I also taught for two weeks last year, and will be teaching again next week. It's one of my favorite camps to teach because it brings art into the mix. We spent a lot of time drawing, making paper mache masks, and creating strange structures in the woods using large redwood branches. The latter was the near unanimous favorite.

I went and saw Neurosis on Wednesday, and found myself immersed in over two hours of doom-laden sludge, tempered a bit about halfway through by the sultry vocalizations of Jarboe. This is doom with a purpose though. It's a cathartic attack against the spiritual emptiness and soulless consumerism so rampant in mainstream culture. Time well spent, I say. I was so energized by their performance that I managed to drive home without coffee, despite the fact that I had worked a ten hour day between my two jobs.

Last night, M. and I went to see Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Moe!kestra. the Moe!kestra were crammed into every available cranny on the main floor and balcony of the club, so as to surround us with a cacaphony (interspersed with some quiet, droning bits) that culminated in the wailing sounds of air raid sirens. I've got to remember to bring my ear plugs. I hadn't seen Sleepytime Gorilla Museum in quite some time, so nearly half of their set was new to me, and all quite fantastic in their usual lunatic fringe sort of way. More time well spent, I say.

We washed our cars today, which is something I got out of the habit of doing during one of the water shortages during the nineties. The things that the stress of imminent poverty will drive you to do... The job search continues.

Let's see if this post will be lost or if it will, wonder of wonders, actually be published.

No comments: