Monday, February 01, 2016

Memory Month

The sky is blue, and I'm being attacked by a kitten as I try to type. Lately, I've been playing with a free app called Dreamscope, which turns phone photos into "works of art" by running them through various filters. Here's an alternate Brian.


I'm glad I'm not actually being attacked by a kitten who looks like this. That would be horrifying.

AS I mentioned in the previous post, each day this month I'm going to wind back the clock and share a memory. For the most part, it will be whatever memory pops into my head on the given day. Today, I'm remembering the first time I got sent to the principal's office at school. I was in the first grade. I remember waiting in line at the drinking fountain, and getting impatient that the guy in front of me, a redheaded boy named Doug, was taking too long to finish drinking. My solution to this problem was to bite him. We both got dragged to the principal's office. Doug was crying, and I seem to remember being somewhat unrepentant. The principal yelled at both of us for some reason, or that's how I remember anyway. He even mentioned rabies, as if rabies was commonly spread from human to human through bites. This made Doug cry harder.

Looking back on this now, I have to wonder what in the hell the principal was thinking. When a kid is crying because he has just been bitten by some asshole classmate at the drinking fountain, it's not a good idea to scare that kid into thinking that he might also now have rabies. That said, I don't think I broke the skin, so even if I had been foaming at the mouth, Doug would have been safe. I don't remember anything else about the principal, but based on this one memory, it's pretty obvious to me that he wasn't a very good one.

I just looked Doug up online. It seems he lives in Melbourne now. I wonder if he remembers this incident.

No comments: