Friday, February 12, 2016

A Pleasant Present Interlude

Amidst all of this reminiscing, the present continues to eat up the future and quickly digest it, leaving only the past behind. I'm nearing the end of yet another week of working nights, although I'm quickly approaching the time when I'll be switching back to days.

The eruption of frog song this week is nearly overwhelming in its intensity. Our pool has been neglected for awhile now, and resembles a murky, green pond. Yesterday evening, I managed to capture three different amphibian species there: several chorus frogs, a small toad, and an equally diminutive newt.


On Tuesday, I went with Jeanine and Eva to see Black Sabbath, getting to work a bit late. This is balanced out by the fact that I've been staying later than I'm supposed to in the mornings due to some ongoing schedule snafus.


The sunrises have been nice too, especially this morning.


The kids this week have been perfect sleepers. I haven't seen a single one of them during the overnight hours. I did see a Gray Fox rooting around in an overturned compost bucket on Monday night, and actually had to intervene when the fox spotted our fluffy little feral cat nearby. The fox suddenly got very interested in the cat, and its whole demeanor changed. I got in between them and scared the fox away. I'm not sure if it would have attacked the cat, but I have a soft spot for cats, so I didn't let things escalate.

I'm always impressed by how alive wild animals are. They always seem to be quivering with potential, their senses straining to perceive the slightest changes in their surroundings. The fox moved so quickly that it seemed like a ghost, teleporting from shadow to shadow and then finally vanishing back into the woods. People are never this alive. Maybe we should take inspiration from this fox and its kin. I've been thinking about this all week.

No comments: