Friday, February 19, 2016

First Fight?


My old elementary school now has the name of my old junior high school. Somewhere along the way, the seventies architecture was updated, so the school I attended is no longer there in either name or appearance.

The memory that bubbles up from the long-term memory vaults today is one of sudden violence. I was standing on the field during recess (or lunch), when a sudden shove sent me to the ground. Without thinking, I stood up and punched the offender in the face(or maybe the stomach because, for most of my early school career, hitting people in the face was taboo by general agreement). Mission accomplished, I wandered away. When I turned around to look back, a pair of teachers were kneeling by the crying kid, trying to figure out what had happened.

That's when I noticed that there was a soccer game being played on the field. I had inadvertently wandered into the middle of the game, and had gotten shoved for my obliviousness. I remember feeling sorry for the crying kid, but proud that I'd made an older kid cry.

I never got in trouble for it either.

No comments: