Thursday, January 11, 2007

Frosty Leaf


Frosty Leaf
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
We're already eleven days into the new year and for some reason I haven't found the time or inclination to post here. I've been thinking about what I want to accomplish this year, artistically and otherwise. So far it's all just ideas scrabbling for purchase inside my head: ideas for novels, ideas for teaching, ideas about time and money and whipping the house into shape. In the midst of all of this mental activity, reality squats like a vaguely sinister pagan idol. People keep getting sick. Work demands time and energy. The house keeps mysteriously uncleaning itself. Kids demand water when I'm in the middle of typing a post... *sigh* I'll be right back.

Okay, where was I? I started the year out in the usual way, playing music at midnight with Matt and Greg. This year we drove out to Almaden Quicksilver park and crawled up inside one of the old cement towers (damned if I can remember what their role in the quicksilver mining process was) left over from the mining days. The tower serves quite well as an echo chamber, and we spent about 45 to 50 minutes monkeying around inside it before calling it a night. At home, Jen stayed up with the boys and an ear infection. New Year's Day found us all hanging around and doing nothing in particular (besides cooking, eating, and going to the park). It was a good way to get the 2007 ball rolling.

The ball rolled right into the work week for me, and that work week rolled into the next. This week is what most of the staff refer to as "all saints week" due to the fact that five different catholic schools are staying at camp. We're teaching them evolution anyway. Some of them sure are homesick though. Tonight's their last night before getting to go home and see their families again, so if they can survive the below freezing temperatures (the picture at the top was taken at noon today) and lack of mommies and daddies overnight, they'll see their families tomorrow.

Oh, and a belated happy new year to all. Jen informs me that this is national delurking week, so if you're one of the handful of people who visits this page, feel free to say hello.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello...delurking.

Love the way you write about nature and kids. Like seeing 2 sides of your family coin by reading Jen's page. Hope the year brings more of the good and beautiful stuff.

p.s. I am so with you on the garbage thing! I don't even put my produce in bags. The checkers grumble as my apples, peppers, and assorted round things roll forth in a jumble.

Laura