Thursday, January 25, 2007

Curly Tail


Curly Tail
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
This is an Arboreal salamander. It demonstrated its climbing skill for us by using its little toes to easily grip the vertical side of the rock we found it under. I've only found a few other Arboreals, and this one is by far the biggest and prettiest. I also have vague memories of finding one of these when I was a little science camper myself. This gets "find of the week" status.
The same day we found this, I saw another Coyote, this time from my car. I managed to get a bad photo of its butt.

The kids this week are an interesting mixture of good students and slackers, but then that's pretty much always the case. I've been both myself. I did have a good exchange with one boy as we passed some of the large, mansion-like houses on the way back from the reservoir today. I asked him if he would like to live in a house like that, and he replied that it would be a waste of money, and that he would like to live in something much smaller. It's refreshing to know that some kids realize that bigger is not always better.

No comments: