Thursday, September 28, 2006

Sunburst


Sunburst
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
The days remain dry and dusty, even under the Redwoods.

I took a couple of my fellow field instructors up to look at the Rattlesnake family yesterday, only to find that they weren't in their usual place. This minor mystery was soon solved when we heard some rustling sounds in the nearby bushes, which soon proved to have been made by a man with a nice camera and a couple of homemade snake sticks - one a hook for turning over boards and logs, and the other a grabber for moving Rattlesnakes. He told us that he'd just finished photographing the Rattlesnakes, and that they'd all crawled back into their holes.

And all along I thought I was the only one doing this!

At any rate, we all introduced ourselves and then talked reptiles for awhile, sharing stories about local finds. He's seen both Sharp-tailed snakes and Night snakes, which are the two local snakes I've yet to come across. Apparently I haven't been looking far enough up the hill or far enough up the peninsula. He also told me about this website, which I think I'll have to start visiting regularly.

No comments: