Monday, January 30, 2006

Last night, deciding to dispense with sleep, I went to see The Living Jarboe, Red Sparowes, and Subarachnoid Space at the Bottom of the Hill. I drove up alone, getting there early since I didn't have a ticket. It ended up being too early, so I went up the hill to Farley's to get a mocha. This is kind of a ritual, actually. I almost always go and get a mocha before the show. It's the closest I ever get to hanging out at a coffee shop like some aimless hipster with a trust fund burning a hole in his pocket.
Back at the club, some guy tried to sell me a ticket for $10. I pointed out to him that A. the show wasn't sold out, and B. it was only $8 to get in. He lowered his price. I handed him a ten and got change. Inside, I ran into a few people I knew, including Jim & Andy, and somewhat later on, G., who had interviewed Jarboe sometime during the afternoon.
Subarachnoid Space were on first. They were crushingly loud, and managed to break strings on two different instruments during the first song. The last time I'd seen them, some six or seven years ago, they were playing noodly space rock, now they play very heavy, sludgy instrumental post-metal. Red Sparowes followed, also without vocals. They sound a lot like Neurosis with their epic, slowly building songs and tendency towards dirginess. Jarboe went on last, singing a mixture of old and new songs, culminating in a cover of Nick Drake's "Black Eyed Dog." She was superb as usual. Kris Force (who I didn't recognize for some reason) played violin. There was a guy on acoustic guitar who I think plays in Ludicra, and a woman on keyboards whose name I didn't catch.

Today another week of camp started. I'm at our second site. The kids are sixth graders and there seem to be a fair amount of troublemakers in the bunch. I hiked a group of them around in the rain and we found newts, slugs, and fungus. One of my coworkers saw a coyote while walking the trails before the kids arrived. We never see them when any kids are around though. Too much noise.

Jen is out tonight. It seems like we've been trading off all weekend. The girls are watching a movie, and the boys are supposedly in bed. I'll bet when I go and check my assumptions will be proven false.

Oh, and there is now a crayfish living here. Apparently is was in Alex's classroom (where it lost a claw and a leg in an argument with a bigger crayfish) and then at a classmate's house (where it was being kept in a tupperware container with peas and carrots floating in the water). Jen rescued it from this ugly fate, although the dad put it in a small, plastic drinking cup for the journey here. What the hell are people thinking anyway? Now it's in a ten gallon aquarium, and it seems to like the chicken bits I fished out of a can of chicken noodle soup. It's Alex's job to take care of it though. There's a pond near work waiting for it if he doesn't.

No comments: