Saturday, January 21, 2006

For a needed change of pace, I worked at our second site this week. There were only 80 kids, and the routine is simpler than the one at our main site. The kids were relatively well-behaved, and genuinely excited to be there. It rained during the Monday night campfire, so we had it inside the dining hall, and despite this last minute change of venue (as it were) it ended up being one of the best campfires the veteran teachers had seen. It's always the best campfire the students have seen, but they haven't been coming up every year like the teachers have. The rest of the week flew by, with the weather changing from rainy to sunny and cool on Thursday and Friday.

On Thursday night I went up to San Francisco to see Espers, who are a psych-folk band from Philadelphia featuring Greg Weeks on guitar. I single him out for a mention here because it was his solo cds that led me to Espers in the first place. They were very good, providing the audience with beautiful songs full of cello and haunting vocals, with occasional bursts of Week's electric guitar. Weeks also played keyboards and recorder. Too bad the club, 12 Galaxies, has a bar, with attendant blabbermouth barflies who felt the need to talk through the proceedings. The opening band, Feathers, were also quite good. I didn't stick around to see Vetiver, who were headlining, because I'd seen them before and hadn't been that impressed. I had to get up early for work too.

Stopped in at Aquarius Records before the show. I'm currently listening to the Andrew Chalk cd I bought. Beautiful. Check out his label here.

M spent the night last night so he could go and see an episode of the miniseries on South Africa that G has been patiently editing for a decade or so now. I think it's the same bit he brought with him when he came over during the holidays. I couldn't go because I was performing at a couple of birthday parties earlier today. Both went over well, netting me lots of cake, indian food, pizza, and forty bucks in tips. I stopped and bought Grizzly Man on the way home. You can never have enough Herzog around the house.

No comments: