Sunday, April 24, 2005

A storm whipped in out of nowhere early Friday afternoon, and we've had unsettled weather since then. There hasn't been much rain, but the wind has been impressive.

I did another party this weekend at one of those big, snazzy homes in the hills. This one had a deck out back from which I could see the whole valley. It makes me wonder if the people who live there take the view for granted. After living in such a house for a time, how often does a person stop and admire the view? Truly a different world up there in the hills in the playgrounds of the morbidly rich. That said, this particular family treated me well. In addition to a nice tip, I got a whole pizza to take home. Good pizza too. No cheap pizza for the rich.

The rest of the weekend was taken up cleaning and dashing back and forth to grocery stores and libraries. I watched the Mummy Returns last night. I guess I was in the mood for some flashy brain candy. I got what I expected - a movie that resembled an amusement park ride, enjoyable but kind of pointless and forgettable at the same time. Some cool looking mummies though.
I also got a couple of F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack novels, which I'm glad the library actually had on hand. I really like that I didn't have to buy the damn things. Hardbacks are so expensive now. We don't have any space for more books on the shelves anyway.

My mom came over today too, bringing books for nearly everybody. And these we don't have to take back in three weeks. It is kind of nice that even when we're totally broke, libraries and moms are there to help out with literature.

No comments: