Sunday, August 16, 2020

Those Violent Winds That Blow From Nowhere

A little after 3:00 AM this morning, a slap of wind rolled across the valley, whipping the trees into helpless dances and rearranging items in countless yards. It was followed by flashes of intense light and the sound of colliding air. I found myself sleepily meditating on the possibility of a stereo system that could mimic the intensity of thunder. As I did so, bits of humidity detached themselves from the sky and slipped down through the darkness to meet their messy end on cement and soil. The thunderstorm lasted into the dawn. The rain didn't amount to much, but the lightning was impressive. Apparently, many mall fires resulted, although I how serious they are, I haven't heard. 

Apparently there was a fire tornado warning in the sierras yesterday though. That's so 2020. Fire tornadoes. 

I haven't yet written about the last couple of weeks of summer camp, or posted attendant photos here. Right now, the heat and humidity have left me uninspired. I was sweating right after getting out of bed this morning. Lots of other things are happening in the news, setting the stage for a messy and perhaps terrifying election season. There was a recent report that the Greenland ice sheet is past the point of no return. I've been losing myself in Star Trek episodes lately, which is as good an escape as any, and a salve to the mind with the utopian future it presents. Our immediate global future seems to be heading in the opposite direction. 

Our bathroom is still being fixed/remodeled. How exciting. 

I went for a walk with Willow recently. I haven't seen a lot of her during the pandemic. Since she works at a pizza place, she is worried about inadvertently getting me sick. I love her for that, but I miss her.

No comments: