Saturday, July 25, 2020

Summer Camp, Week 3 of 5.

A couple of random quotes that somehow caught my attention over the last week or so:

"It's the size of a peep!"
- one of my CITs (counselor in training) from last week, aptly describing the size of a Pacific Wren.

"Tyler's real mom is in jail" - overheard during lunchtime a few days ago.

In some ways, summer camp chugs along like it normally does. I'm doing a lot of the same things, and the added burden of wearing masks and checking temperatures doesn't really detract from things. This week, I didn't have a co-leader, which didn't really hinder things either. I had two counselors and two CITs to help take the burden off.

I saw another bird for the first time, and unlike the Sharp-shinned Hawk from week one, it was truly a new bird to me - the kind that birders would call a "lifer." It happened while we were eating lunch near the reservoir. Since we were all sitting, the birds in the nearby trees felt confidant enough to flit closer, and I of course pointed my binoculars at them. One of them proved to be a Cassin's Vireo, the bold eye ring helping differentiate it from the similar-looking Hutton's Vireo. I didn't have my camera with me, at least not the one with the proper lens, so I didn't get any photos.

I did, however, get a lot of photos of other things.

This is the first Gopher Snake of the summer. We found it relaxing in the shade near the pond. It humored us for awhile.


Our one Western Pond Turtle (technically a Northwestern Pond Turtle, I'm told), went on walkabout. Another group found it in the meadow and told me about it. Turtles lay their eggs on land, so maybe it was an instinctive journey of futility - futile because it is the only member of its species in the pond. If this is the case, one could surmise that it's a female.


I thought this picture of a female House Finch came out nicely. Usually, they all dart off before I can get close.


The Lesser Goldfinches, on the other hand, are good at ignoring my presence.


I saw at least one Gray Fox every day, I think. Once, I saw two siblings at once. They look uncomfortable with the engorged ticks hanging from their faces.


I took a bunch of pictures of this California Towhee as it got ready for the day in an intense grooming session.


More nature art was created, photographed, and destroyed.


The 2020 summer camp look:


There are a lot of new signs around the park, mostly to protect people from themselves. This one made me laugh. Who dives into a foot of water?


Speaking of protecting people from themselves, the rangers report that they're running out of ice packs due the number of Yellowjacket attacks this summer. One of my counselors got stung on Monday during a game of camouflage, and another group had a run-in with another nest the following day. On our Friday hike, I spotted 4 nests. Then I remember it's 2020, so this kind of thing is to be expected.

Speaking of unfortunate events, the tile wall behind the bathtub in our second bathroom collapsed, revealing rotted, moldy underpinnings. Expensive remodeling work is under way.

I'll end with a photo of a message left by one of my campers this week. Safety is on all of our minds. I hope summer camp is helping kids process things. I've seen articles about other summer camps having outbreaks and closing down. The arguments about the upcoming school year continue. Time will tell.


No comments: