Friday, September 09, 2016

Sierra Azul, and the Science Camp Year begins

A few years ago, I completed my goal to walk every trail in Almaden Quicksilver County Park. Now, years later, I've decided to attempt the same thing with the trails winding though the adjacent Sierra Azul open space preserve. There are fewer trails there, but they're longer, so I'll have to allow more time for each hike. I started my quest with a relatively simple hike up Limekiln trail, and then down Priest Rock trail. After the hike was over, I was glad I hadn't done the reverse loop because Limekiln was mostly forest and Priest Rock is vehemently chaparral. I don't think many people like walking uphill in the chaparral on a sunny day. I know I don't. My fitbit tells me the elevation change during this hike was over 1400 feet, although 160 feet of that was due to a false start up the wrong trail.

Partway up Limekiln, I found a ringneck snake, and later on I was circled by a turkey vulture as I followed Priest Rock through the chaparral at the top of the ridge.

The trails start and end near Lexington reservoir, which I had never seen from this particular vantage point. I'm used to seeing it from the west as I drive past it on highway 17.






Tuesday, the school year's first week of science camp started. The kids were sixth graders from far enough away that they didn't arrive until after 10:00 AM (which is better than their estimated 11:00 arrival time). The week went well. I team taught with one of our newer staff members, Arctic Hare, although for the most part, she just observed. Another even newer (so new that she hasn't even been processed, which meant she was volunteering this week) staff member was also observing this week. It's always nice to have some new energy injected into the program.

I did my usual long hike to Lake Ranch reservoir. Several campers got quite wet and muddy. We found a couple of Argiope spiders in the grass down by the shore. The first had a California Sister butterfly in its clutches, and the second was snacking on a dragonfly.


No comments: