Sunday, September 25, 2016

Let Autumn Commence

Week Three of Science Camp began during late Summer, and ended in early Autumn. Night has now outstripped day, and will gradually spread its velvet wings a little farther each evening, at least until the Winter Solstice causes the wings to slowly fold up again. Coincidentally, the week started on the hot side, and ended with temperatures that were more agreeable (and more conducive to wildlife sightings). The kids were a good bunch, although overall not quite on the level of the kids from the previous week. There were a few more difficult cases, but not in my group. One of my cabin leaders for the week, who chose the camp name "Tardigrade", was so inspired by the camp experience that he now wants to work there when he is older. He gets bonus points for his name too, because Tardigrades are cool.

I went and saw Greg (and company) perform up in San Francisco on Thursday evening, and will eventually write about it. For now, let it suffice to say that my Fitbit informs me that I broke my personal 24 hour step record that day (since I got the Fitbit back in December, at least). I stepped 23,836 steps that day.

The drop in temperature toward the end of the week allowed us to find a lot of little animals. Like the previous week, my favorite day was Thursday, during which we visited the reservoir (a different reservoir though, since I was at our main site this week) and floundered around in the mud while looking for wildlife.

One thing of note is that the rattlesnakes who live at the edge of our lower field had babies. There were at least three adults on hand too. At least one of the babies had milky eyes, indicating that it is about to shed. Friday, we saw a total of five snakes at once: two babies and three adults. I'm betting that there are more babies down in the burrow.




We didn't see any rattlesnakes up at the reservoir, but there were plenty of other interesting animals.









Seeing all of the Argiope spiders reminds me of childhood, when there were Garden spiders all over the yard. I remember watching them appear, then disappear, as the season progressed. They held a special fascination for me, one that I still feel when I come across them. They are beautiful, delicate, misunderstood creatures.

I love Autumn. It's the season of remembrance.

It's also when the poison oak is at its most beautiful.

No comments: