Sunday, November 22, 2015

Morning Routine

Your morning routine:

At the moment, during the work week I go to bed in the morning, so I’ll just relate what I generally do after getting up, which often actually happens in the middle of the afternoon.

After getting out of bed, I turn on the lights for the lizards (the Bearded Dragons have a timer, but at the moment, the Iguana and the Sandfish do not), turn on my laptop, let out the chickens (if it’s actually morning and Jeanine hasn’t beaten me to it), and check my e-mail on my phone (deleting most of them unread) while fixing something to eat (if I get up in the morning, I make breakfast, but if I get up in the middle of the afternoon, I usually just make coffee and wait for dinner a couple of hours later).

Then, if left to my own devices, I usually settle in with the computer for awhile. The two parts of the routine that never change are drinking coffee and checking e-mail/Facebook. Neither of them are necessary to life or even happiness, but they’ve become deeply ingrained habit.

I’m thinking of making a renewed attempt to break that habit, because I spend too much time on the computer, and caffeine is bad for people with high blood pressure. I've always had trouble doing things I like in moderation, so I guess it's good that I don't have any really bad habits (like smoking or drinking).

I’m working towards going back to being diurnal, which actually means demoting myself in terms of pay, but right now, Jeanine and I often pass like ships in the night due to our opposite schedules.

I’ve never been a morning person, and don’t often accomplish much within a few hours of waking up. I get a burst of energy at nightfall, which has proven invaluable when one considers my current schedule. I still think there are enough positives to justify reversing my schedule though.

No comments: