Monday, September 28, 2015

A Belated Happy Autumn

Summer has ended and the Blood Moon has risen, its image recorded countless times and spewed out across social media. This cartoon, courtesy of AsapSCIENCE, made me laugh out loud this morning. It succinctly sums up the typical social media response to widely-viewed natural phenomena. More is more.


Due to the fact that our new (I'd say "interim" or "temporary", but it looks like he's here to stay for awhile) director is still learning the ropes as far as scheduling is concerned, I ended up being in the field this past week. The week started off on the hot side, which made me glad I wasn't working the night shift because hot days/nights means that the campers don't sleep as well. My field group was active, and on the young side (due to the time of year, if nothing else). As the days creep by with no rain, everything just keeps getting dustier and drier.

We did find a mother scorpion and her brood, which was neat.


There was a nice, big Argiope spider up at the reservoir, and the reservoir itself was lower than I'd ever seen it.


The sunsets have been nice too. This was what the sky looked like right before the night hike.


This weekend, Willow played two soccer games and one softball game. Her teams won all three.

On Saturday night, we went to the annual Mayhem in the Mountains party celebrating the birthdays of our friends Chris and Kate. With their house situated on a mountaintop, they have a nice view. The food was phenomenal and the karaoke was silly. Willow even got up to the mic. I helped her out on one song.






The usual sorts of shenanigans happened.

Facepainting:


Dogpiling:


This week, I'm back working nights. When I got up around noon today, I found out that my cousin Peter got the local job he interviewed for recently, and he and his family will soon be moving to the area from Boston! Very cool.

No comments: