Friday, June 27, 2014

Draining

As I led a group of kids past the pond at work yesterday, I was surprised to see a couple of people hip-deep in the water (at exactly the same time that a kid toward the back of the line was surprised by a Garter snake). It always surprises me when somebody other than me gets in the pond. It turned out that they were employed by the County and were doing a pond survey to make sure that there were no species of concern living there. The plan is to drain the pond to do some repairs. This will also wipe out the various aquatic plants and animals. Most of the pond life is invasive (duckweed, bullfrogs, etc.), but lots of other creatures will be inadvertently eradicated, including California Newt larvae and countless insects. I think that next week I'll scoop some out and move them. I'm sure I'll be able to find some kids to help.

An now, a lament for the pond, played on the trombone:

No comments: