Monday, January 13, 2014

Why Did the Chicken Allow Itself To Be Stroked?

The chickens have suddenly become more affectionate, which is odd behavior for a pair of birds who, up until recently, have shown themselves to be very adept at avoiding the descending hand.

Jeanine looked around on an online chicken forum and discovered it's just their way of saying, "fertilize me!"

Ew. Not going to happen, chickens. Sorry. Still, it's nice to be able to pat them without having to chase them first.


Jeanine and I went letterboxing yesterday up at Sanborn park in the hills next to my work. There's a series of 6 bird-themed letterboxes hidden along the trails there, and we found them all. I tried out my new pedometer and it seems to work as described, although according to it, we only walked a disappointing .95 of a mile. The excursion inspired me to plan a series of letterboxes that I can tie into the lessons we teach at camp. Will I follow through? We'll see...

Speaking of walking, I've now walked over 50 miles this month, so I'm halfway to my goal.

It's depressingly sunny outside right now, although I have a feeling that's a statement that runs the risk of causing people living in any U.S. state other than California want to kill me. I guess sunny does trump polar vortex, but we still need rain.

No comments: