Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Night Work

After a night off due to Martin Luther King Day, I'm back up in the hills, holding down the fort while the campers sleep. That said, they've been a bit restless tonight. A floor has already been puked on, and I've seen a homesick boy and a whole bunch of kids who got in trouble for talking, including Captain Sassypants and his second in command, Corporal Clueless. That's usually how it works in these situations - the back talker almost always comes with a bonus follower. Steps have been taken.

The beginning of every week is like the first day of school. Every new bunch of kids comes with unique challenges. That's part of what makes this job interesting.

This didn't stop me from finishing the novel I've been working on. One of my goals this year is to finally finish off the huge bag of books and DVDs a friend loaned me around a year ago. Fortunately, he's a friend with good taste. The latest book I read, "The Scar" by China Mieville, was particularly excellent.

I wonder who broke the circular piece of wood covering the campfire pit in the main amphitheater though. It looks like somebody drove a truck over it.

The sky is a bit clearer up here. The air quality in the valley remains bad. For the last few days, I've had a tickle in my throat, plus an off again on again soreness there. Jeanine has too, although today she had a low-grade fever on top of that, so maybe we're both sick. Whatever the problem is, it has sapped our energy. Tonight I feel a bit better, but then again I'm out of the valley and I've had coffee.

Coffee is good.

No comments: