Thursday, September 02, 2010

If I keep the windows and doors closed, my apartment retains the morning coolness until about noon. I'm just now beginning to really feel the heat. The forecast calls for temperatures in the high nineties today. Woe.

I notice on the news that another oil rig has exploded in the gulf. My response to that is to redouble my commitment to walk when and where possible. One of my plans this summer was to buy a bike, and I still haven't done that. Target has cheap ones, but I'm trying to avoid going there as well because of who they choose to donate money to. Too bad the local bike shop is so expensive. Walking it is.

Speaking of local shops, the nearest mom & pop pet store (Actually, I think at least 3 generations work there) is having its rent raised, a fact that will precipitate a move, so I might have to travel further afield for pet food too.

Willow has her first soccer practice of the season today. She's worried because all of her teammates are strangers. I told her that they won't be strangers for long, which didn't seem to reassure her much. She has become quite a worrier lately. Poor girl.

My favorite college professor once mentioned that 90% of the things we worry about never come to pass. Not sure if she made up that percentage or not, but it is comforting somehow. I think that was in her Sociology of Happiness class. Willow, of course, would probably fall into the category of people who would ask, "what about the other 10%?"

Currently listening to: Embers "Memoria In Aeterna"

No comments: