Tuesday, September 14, 2010

After a couple of weeks off, I've stepped back into my role as night supervisor up at camp. We've started off the season with 210 kids from 2 different local schools, along with the expected homesickness issues kids away from home for the first time often deal with.

The changing season is once again re-energizing me, as it always does. Summer, despite the fun of working at summer camp, in some ways seems like an annual low point for me spiritually speaking. Nothing important ever seems to get accomplished during the Summer months. This month, however, marks the two year anniversary of me moving into my current apartment, and the one year anniversary of my relationship with Jeanine (or of our first walk together, at least). I'm happy.

That said, I feel like I'm in a creative rut. I've never been able to force creativity. Hopefully inspiration will find me soon.

Willow has started playing soccer again, and I am once again struck by how much I like watching her play, but have absolutely no interest in watching anybody but her play. Fatherhood will do that kind of thing to you.

I look forward to the falling leaves and rain. I look forward to walking in the hills during tarantula season.

Currently listening to: Sanna Kurki-Suonio "Huria"

4 comments:

Prettylittlecrow said...

'Happy' is a beautiful word, John. And I'll offer 'Patience' as a favorite of mine. I suspect that the wild and swirling autumn will bring just what you are looking for.

You aren't one of those tortured creative types are you? ...most productive in misery? I can be this way. Happiness and creativity don't always wear well together for me. Ha! But, I'll take it.

I've missed blogging with you, one birdy to another, but I do love that I can still peek into your mind and life from time to time.

Be well ~L

John said...

I'm not sure if I'm a tortured creative type or not. I do know that if I'm less happy, I feel I have more to strive for, but that doesn't necessarily result in creative endeavors. I do often find myself enjoying the results of the tortured creative periods of others though.

In the past, I can remember specific films and songs that have sparked something in me and led to frantic periods of artistic expression. I think I'm just waiting for the next spark.

Patiently waiting for the wind and rain to start. Maybe it will come with a needed spark this year.

As always, I'm glad that you stopped by.

All the best,
John

Prettylittlecrow said...

I think it probably best not to be a Dostoyevsky or Kahlo anyway!

The PNW wind came swirling in today(so appropriately!)launching acorns down onto the playground...as if thrown from the sky. There was a lot dancing around with arms outstretched in the wind and squealing about random raindrops. So electric!

Made me think of you guys and your sweet Solstice walks and I wondered if you ventured out in the early hours this time.

Happy new season, John!
~L

dr silence said...

I've always loved the first rainfall and/or wind of the season. We haven't had any yet down here though. In fact, it's supposed to be unseasonably hot this weekend. Maybe next week...

I'm glad that you got some nice wind up there though. It reminds me of dancing in the first Autumn rain with Willow.

We didn't manage to greet the Equinox sunrise together because I was at work, but we did go on a long walk together on the one year anniversary date of our first walk. Same trail too, although this time we went for a much longer walk. Autumn always seems to be the season when things happen. I'm not sure if that's because I always feel reinvigorated during this season, or if it's mere coincidence.

Wishing you continued electricity this Autumn.

Happy new season to you too!

John