Wednesday, April 01, 2009

One of my biggest fears in life is appearing foolish when I'm trying to appear otherwise. Because of this, I often act silly on purpose, just so I can have more control over the process. I may have some control-freak tendencies as well, although they're not directed at other people - just at myself. It's one of the reasons I don't drink or take any other mind-altering substances. I also stress out when I'm running late, but not when other people fail to show up on time (unless their failure to show up on time makes me late too).

This is just a convoluted way of saying, "happy April Fool's Day!" Now, get out there and do something foolish!

The first animal I saw today (if you discount the late night deer and bats) was a foolish one. As I was driving back down the hill from camp, I saw a coyote lingering by the side of the road, looking put out that cars were driving by and interrupting whatever it had been doing. Coyote, of course, plays the part of Trickster in many Native American myths. More often than not, Coyote's tricks backfire, revealing him to be somewhat of a fool. It never seems to stop him though. Coyote is consistent, if nothing else.

I watched his image dwindle to nothing in my rear-view mirror, feeling glad that I got to share a fraction of my morning with another creature who knows how to take control of his foolishness. It was a good way to start the day. Especially this day.

Currently listening to: Bernardo Devlin "Agio"

No comments: