Monday, April 13, 2009

An unseasonable cold has descended over the valley, or at least over the hills, tonight. Everything is peaceful up at camp, and I had one of those evenings where everything fell into place neatly. The kids are well-behaved, the cabin leaders are experienced, and the talk I gave to the assembled kids was somehow just a bit better than usual. Now, most of the little chores are done, and all I hear is the grumbling of the refrigerator, the ticking clocks, and the clacking of keys as I type. I've got to go check the laundry in a few minutes - I'm washing clothes left behind by last week's kids, and another bag full of clothes that appear to be a bit too sophisticated to belong to 5th or 6th graders. Perhaps they're left over from one of the weekend groups who occasionally rent the site.

I'm feeling the need to rein myself in again. I've been spending carelessly (music again), eating like a teenager, and slacking off on exercise. This kind of thing is almost cyclical. I've got to find away to forge continually ahead, rather than swinging back and forth like a pendulum.

It would be nice to be happy with every aspect of my life at the same time. Or maybe that's an impossibility. I don't know. Perhaps it's happiness that takes away the drive to improve. Sometimes I think that being unhappy can be a positive force for change. In fact, I know it is. When I'm happy, I want to stay right where I am. Doesn't everybody?

No comments: