Monday, March 12, 2007

Green and Brown


Green and Brown, originally uploaded by Corbie.

Inspired by the Spring-like weather, we went up to Hidden Villa and wandered around the farm for awhile yesterday. Then we followed the creek trail, where Willow got to meet a horse and throw sticks into the water.
My main hiking goal was to go up the trail where the Coast Horned Lizards can sometimes be spotted. We saw none, but then again they usually don't come out until April. We did find a small Rattlesnake, which both Jen and I walked right past. It was a startled exclamation from Matt that called our attention to it. The frightened little snake quickly crawled off into the bushes. There were lots of wildflowers blooming too, including Indian Warrior and Hound's Tongue, to name a couple that I recognized. Banana Slugs and mushrooms of various colors were also to be seen.
Willow's favorite part of the trip was our visit to the cow enclosure. It's a treat to watch her interact with natural surroundings. We'll visit there again soon.

Click on the picture to see more.

The new week, minus the hour that was taken from us early Sunday morning, started with a new batch of kids at work. I have an high functioning autistic kid in my group, as well as one who doesn't speak English very well. Every week has its challenges. The autistic kid seems a little jumpy around the local wildlife. We've already come across a lot of animals, including a mouse, Ringneck snake, skinks, various salamanders, a Tree frog, one of the pond's Red-eared sliders, and a number of smaller critters. Spring has indeed come early.

I've written a few pages of my novel, which in some ways parallels my working life, but in other ways very obviously doesn't. I've also put together a (very) rough outline of how it's all going to fit together. I don't really have any illusions of finishing it by the end of the month, but I'll have something to show at least. I'm also trying to figure out what I'm going to do for a performance Greg is putting together for the end of the month.

Oh, and read the Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini, if you have the time (which I don't, but I read it anyway). It's good.

No comments: