Thursday, February 22, 2007

With apologies to Jen for stealing her idea, here's a blow by blow account of yesterday:

7:32 AM
Willow wakes me up, decides it's time for the day to begin. I make her breakfast (cereal, string cheese, and milk). She wants to watch the Tigger movie.

7:45 AM
Willow watches Tigger movie and forgets to eat most of her breakfast.

8:15 AM
E-mail checking time, with Townes Van Zandt playing in the background. Willow still enraptured by the antics of Tigger and friends.

8:45 AM
Sophie wakes up, has cereal and milk. Joins in the Tigger-watching festivities. I put songs in my I-tunes library.

8:55 AM
I fix myself some eggs and toast, to be washed down with generous amounts of coffee. Read paper.

9:05 AM
First shower in days.

9:15 AM
The girls want to play, so I join them in the living room for some Care Bear fun.

9:20 AM
Oh yeah, dishes need doing. Sorry girls. I finish dishes, then go back to play with girls some more. Girls decide that they want to play a video game, and rope me in to help Willow with her controls.

10:25 AM
I finally escape from video game, none the wiser about how to play it. I remove laundry from dryer, realize it's not dry yet. I put laundry back in dryer and go pick up room while listening to Black Bird Stitches.

10:50 - 11:02 AM
Check e-mail, followed by general picking up and trying to decide what to do next.

11:20 AM
Oh, I know! How about more laundry!

11:45 AM
Boys finally come home from friend's house, only 2 hours and 45 minutes later than expected.

Noon
I succumb to pressure and we all go to Taco Bell. Surprisingly, nobody pitches a fit about anything (with the semi-exception of Sophie) and we make it back in one piece. Consumption of poor quality food ensues.

12:37 - 1:08 PM
Check e-mail and fart around on the computer. Damn, I sure check my e-mail a lot.

1:10 PM
I start cleaning out car and switching over laundry. About halfway through folding I see a small, clean piece of poop in the dryer, which goes a long way towards explaining why all of the clean clothes exude the subtle odor of shit.

1:30 PM
Time to clean the dryer. I wipe it down and leave the door open to air it out.

2 PM
I finish cleaning out car. Recycling is full. Take out recycling. Now listening to Scott Walker.

2:30 PM
Nate is on the computer playing games. I'm listening to Comus while I sort papers.

2:56 PM
The girls want to go outside, so we all finish getting dressed and venture into the yard. It's cloudy and windy. I take some pictures and we hang out on the lawn. The sun comes and goes

3:25 PM
Sophie leans over and bestows partially digested Taco Bell food upon the gutter. The quantity is impressive. I take the girls inside and put Sophie in the bath.

3:35 PM
While Sophie is bathing, I go back to doing laundry.

3:45 PM
Sophie is out. The girls are watching Beauty and the Beast. I check e-mail and further enlarge my I-tunes library.

4:11 PM
Sophie pukes into handy bowl.

4:16 PM
More laundry! More putting away of clothes!

4:24 PM
Notice spottiness of vanity mirror. Clean vanity mirror. Willow wants to play. I help her put on princess costume.

4:30 PM
Sophie pukes again.

4:35 PM
Get mail and immediately put most of it in the recycling bin.

4:37 PM
Looks like rain. I put floor mats (out because Willow puked on them a couple of days ago) back in van.

4:44 PM
Alex is e-mailing Jen. I stop him from writing overly nasty things about his sister.

4:50 PM
I notice that Alex furtively covers the computer screen with his hand whenever I pass by.

4:55 PM
Sophie pukes again.

5:07 PM
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Sophie pukes again.

5:15ish PM
Sophie drifts off to dreamland. Willow wants to play. Nate wakes up. What the hell? I thought he was just doing something quiet in his room - turns out he's been asleep since right after lunch and doesn't know what day it is. I predict a late night.

5:50 PM
Sophie wakes up. Pukes.

6 PM
The boys leave with their dad. Sophie stays home on the couch with her ever present bowl and a cheesy dinosaur movie. Willow has a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Girls quietly watch movie. I eat some canned chili and make coffee.

At some point, Greg calls. I talk to him for about 45 minutes. Apparently it's too hard to fly to Burkina Faso. He is, however, going to join Jen and Matt in Barcelona. The OAC page is back up and running!

7:40 PM
Willow gets in the bath.

8 PM
Boys come home

8:30 ish
I cover Sophie's bed with towels and get in bed with the girls. They fall asleep relatively quickly.

8:45 PM
Alex is in his room. I hang out and talk with Nate while music loads into I-tunes. We decide to watch a couple of episodes of X-files.

9 PM
We sit down in front of the TV. Sophie wakes up and pukes. I help her to the bathroom and then clean her pillow. Back in bed, she falls asleep almost instantly.

9:05 to after 11 PM
Nate and I watch X-files.

11:15ish PM
Nate goes to bed. I e-mail Jen. I sit up and read, then listen to I-pod.

Midnight or so
Sophie wakes up and pukes. I help her to the bathroom and strip sheet off bed due to wet spots. After everything is cleaned up, she goes back to sleep.

1 AM
I go to sleep.

Now, the day after, Sophie appears to be fine. Fingers crossed. Hope nobody else gets it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"the subtle odor of shit" Heeee! Your day is a winner. The fact that it doesn't include "screamed at children" or "wanted to get in car and drive away" speaks volumes about your ability to parent. :)

Lorelei