Saturday, February 17, 2007

All of a sudden it's T-shirt weather around here. The week at camp, being four days instead of the usual five, seemed to end before it had a chance to properly begin. The baby Garter snake was back under its piece of corrugated metal in the chaparral, and I found another Arboreal salamander, this time under a rotting section of tree trunk near the hillside amphitheater. There was a girl in my group whose heart functioned at about half capacity, so I slowed the hikes down a bit for her benefit. She had open heart surgery at two years of age, poor thing. Makes me think about the strength some people possess - the strength to overcome all sorts of physical and situational obstacles. Makes me think that I could be doing so much more with my own life since I don't have such serious obstacles of my own.

I'm feeling restless, like I need climb off my current plateau and ascend once more. Life is good but it could be much better. I always tell kids at camp that they should try something new every day. I don't always live that.

Jen definitely gets a chance to try something new this week, by hopping on a plane to Barcelona with her laptop and new camera in tow. I'm at the same time jealous and entirely supportive of her going. I've been across the Atlantic Ocean five times now (if I'm counting correctly), so it is only right that she finally gets to go. At the same time I would dearly love to go along, especially since she gets to go on stage with Nurse With Wound. I'd love to be there to witness that. I'm sure it will be recorded nine ways to Sunday though, so I'll get to see/hear it after the fact.

While she's there, I'll be home with the kids. It's pure coincidence that her trip happens on a week that I don't have to work. I'll only miss one day of work (a week from Monday) while she's gone. Willow turns four a couple of days before Jen gets back, and I think we'll go to the zoo that day. Her actual birthday party is scheduled for the following weekend.

Tomorrow is my last day of work before Jen leaves. Once again I'll be supervising the Weekend Work Program work crew as they clean up cabins, bathrooms, and the dining hall/kitchen area at work. It means getting up early, but it also means another eight hours of pay, which will make up for the day I miss the following week.

Currently listening to the new Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter cd, "Like Love, Lust & the Open Halls of the Soul". Liking it.

No comments: