Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Snake Bracelet


Snake Bracelet
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
A local journalist and photographer stopped by camp today to do a story on the lodge construction project. Apparently they'd been informed that all of our buildings had been demolished and that we were running a camp in the rubble. When this turned out not to be true, they attached themselves to me for awhile. First, the photographer took lots of pictures of the cockroach cuddling activity I was leading (okay, we weren't really cuddling them - we were holding hissing cockroaches) and then they accompanied the large group I was leading down to the pond. On the way, I almost stepped on a Gopher snake sitting in the middle of the trail. I picked it up and was instantly mobbed by twenty or so kids who wanted to touch it. Since it was newly caught and not happy, I didn't let them. Despite the fact that it didn't want to pose, the photographer and I both took pictures of it before letting it slide back into the grass. When we finally made it to the pond, we continued the perpetual task of scooping out duckweed and Bullfrog tadpoles. More photographs were taken. I'm interested in seeing the article that comes out of all this. If it ends up being online somewhere, I'll link to it.

No comments: