Thursday, May 18, 2006

Letting the Snake Out of the Bucket

I've been over at our second site this week, where the chaparral outweighs the forest and Spring flowers punctuate the foliage. I removed a small Rattlesnake from the vicinity of the cabins and released it out behind the corral, taking a few pictures as I did so. It is quite hard to get from one side of camp to the other carrying a snake in a bucket without getting stopped every five feet or so by hordes of children wanting to take a look. I gladly let kids see it, only once having to prevent a boy from trying to reach into the bucket. Floundering in the gene pool, that one.

As for the rest of the week, things have gone much better than I expected them to. One of the schools sharing the camp this week left a less than stellar impression last year when they brought up a number of wanna-be gangsters who all got kicked out mid-week. This year's batch is much better, although the principal, who visited for dinner last night, said that he was a bit worried about the kids slated to come to camp next year.

I worked the astronomy program last night, and we all got to look at Jupiter through the telescope. It was well above the horizon at 8:00, and all one hundred and twenty-something kids got to see it and a handful of its moons. At one point, as I was looking through the eyepiece to adjust the scope, a satellite passed across my field of vision.

Today a small rabbit froze in place mid-trail and all of the kids got to see and photograph it. Very cooperative of the little fellow.

Tomorrow is my last day at this site for the season. Next week I'm back at our main site. Summer lurks around the far corner.

No comments: