Monday, June 25, 2018

Summer

It's funny how summer camp starts before Summer does. Not that many people give it much thought. The Solstice came and went during the second week of camp, meaning that the lightest night hike of the year is now behind us.

The first two weeks were unusual for several reasons, first and foremost being that our longtime camp director had the temerity to retire, leaving behind a huge pair of shoes to fill. Enter Sasquatch as the new summer camp overlord. And yes, like his name suggests, he has a huge pair of feet. Perfect fit. Still, there were a few birthing pains here and there.

I was off in Trailblazer land. Gobi, who worked the program last year, is directing it this year, so there weren't many big changes for me. I sometimes feel a bit self-conscious that I'm not directing anything, but then I remember that I don't want to direct anything. It usually involves things like phone calls and paperwork. Not my idea of a good time.

During our training week, we really came together as a staff, with each program sharing an activity or two. The Leaders In Training staff shared a team challenge during which we were silently evaluated by staff who placed slips of paper on the floor behind us as we worked. The cards had words like suggester, includer, supporter, etc.

I got more suggester cards than anything else. That's kind of what I do. Just don't put me in charge of people.

The first two weeks are behind us now. The first week was the inaugural voyage of Trailblazers Beyond, during which the campers stayed overnight for the whole week. We only had 34 campers spread out between 3 group leaders (the other two being Weasel and Shadow, which is interesting because one week years ago, I was a group leader with Weasel as my counselor and Shadow as one of my campers). For the first time, all Trailblazers group leaders play musical instruments too, which meant we could play songs without outside help.

The second week was given over to the Migrant Education program. We hosted them last year too, but this year there were over 100 of them, which meant adding a couple of group leaders and rethinking things a bit. Our transition times and time with our groups suffered a bit, but we soldiered though the week with smiles on our faces.

There haven't been any unusual animal sightings so far. The usual suspects are out and about, of course. I did find one California Pink Glowworm last week as I was getting into my car after the night hike. I also rescued a toad from pool filter during swim time. During the second week, camp was inundated by California Tortoiseshell butterflies, which apparently are prone to unexplained population explosions.

Due to a miscommunication on my part, I'm off this week, and due to a cancellation of one session of the new Family Camp, I'm off next week too. Things will get done.

While all of the above has been happening, I haven't eaten any cheese or ice cream. This was my goal for the month. Not too surprisingly, I've already lost about 12 pounds and my resting heart rate has decreased.

Here's some photos from the last couple of weeks.

This is a Soil Centipede. During the week, I saw one eating a small insect. Weasel found a Tiger Centipede eating another one.


I found a tick on me, but removed it before it bit. Not that it matters. It's a dog tick, and they don't carry Lyme.


The usual rattlesnakes in the usual place. What was unusual was the fact that one of them was fully visible. Usually they're much more hidden.


As the dryness of summer creeps through the forest, the Goldback ferns start to curl up. The spores on the underside of the leaves reflect UV light a bit.


Our Olive-keeled Flat Rock Scorpion molted! That's the first time it's done that since I bought it.


This toad, recently rescued from the pool filter, checks out its reflection in the fun house mirror. Actually, my guitar.


A California Pink Glowworm who didn't have the decency to be found during the night hike, instead waiting until the kids were all on their way to bed.


And finally, one of hundreds of California Tortoiseshell butterflies.

No comments: