Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Time Off

A week and a half into my two and a half weeks off, and the only thing of note that I've accomplished was upgrading our internet connection. Now, my only limitation is my aging laptop.

I've also been reading, watching movies, and listening to lots of music. As I type, Youtube is providing a background of British folk rock in the form of Pentangle and Fairport Convention. This is probably my least favorite way to listen to things, but it suffices for background sound.

I went for a walk through the hazy hills of Almaden Quicksilver park yesterday, and through downtown Campbell today. Yesterday, I wondered to myself why I didn't go on more hikes, and today I bought books and tea.

Here are photos from yesterday's hike. One trail was closed due to a restoration project. I'm interested to see what the end results of the restoration will be.

Here's a pair of lizards. The fence lizard quickly darted away on urgent lizard business, but the alligator lizard was so relaxed that it didn't move when I took a picture from two inches away.



The deer were out and about as well.




The distance, as always, was compelling. Where does the trail go? What is around the next corner? Or over the next hill?




That said, this was a trail that I've walked countless times in a park where I've walked every trail. I need to branch out a bit. This park just happens to be relatively nearby.

I haven't been able to bring Jeanine along on walks lately due to her mom's declining health. She has a neurological disorder that makes it increasingly hard for her to do things for herself. Right now, Jeanine is looking into assisted living facilities, since her mom is getting to the point where she needs care that we can't provide.

No comments: